Sunday, January 13, 2008


Groucho and me...

I mentioned how much I love The Marx Brothers, particularly Groucho last week, and my favorite celebrity photographer Sans Pantaloons found an old picture of me and Groucho he took!! I look pretty good Huh? Sans is a Genius! Thanks, all hail the Pantaloons.

Anyway, I have some Marx brothers Trivia over the years and thought I would share.

  • There were actually six Marx brothers, but Manny Marx died in an accident when he was 3. The remaining Five where Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo and Zeppo.
  • They got their nicknames when they were in Vaudeville, Chico is Pronounced Chick-o because he was always after the ladies (chicks)
  • Chico developed his Italian accent in childhood when he would use different accents to keep from being beaten up in the ethnic neighborhoods near where they grew up.
  • Groucho used a German accent in his acts (his parents were German immigrants) until WWII. He went to Germany in the 1950s and danced on what is thought to be Hitler's grave
  • Harpo's real name was Adolph which he had legally changed to Arthur when the war started.
  • They were just as madcap off the stage as there were on, One Hollywood movie producer kept them waiting several times for appointments and they repaid him by camping out naked in his office toasting marshmallows over a fire they started.
  • Chico was a big gambler, and the last few movies they made they only made because Chico needed the money bad.
  • Groucho was a big reader, and always regretted he had to quit school when he was 12. He was more proud of his written work than any of his shows or movies.
  • Groucho was married 3 times and all of his wives became alcoholics. He married very young (his last wife was 19 and he was 64)very pretty girls but he preferred intellectuals.
  • My favorite Groucho quote was in a letter he sent to the Beverly Hills country club when he discovered some of his Jewish friends where denied membership because they were Jewish. He was also Jewish and sent them this "Please cancel my membership immediately. I refuse to belong to a club that would have me for a member."
  • Another favorite quote is one he denied saying but other people say he did say it. When talking with a contestant on his game show "You bet your life" who was a woman that had 10 kids. When he asked her why she had 10 kids she replied that she loved her husband to which he allegedly replied "I love my cigar too but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while"
  • Groucho hated raunchy dirty comedy and said in an interview that It is too easy to tell dirty jokes and get a laugh, the real challenge was to be clean and still get a laugh.

Ok I know lots more trivia but its late and tomorrow is a freaking Monday!

Later

12 Comments:

Blogger People in the Sun said...

By the way, I'm reading this book, which is a part of a larger book, called Harpo Speaks. It's an amazing book. Very readable and charming.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Superwoman said...

Very interesting. Mabey I need to look into a little Marx brothers.

2:10 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

Groucho and W.C. Fields can make me laugh- anytime, anywhere! Their approach to humour was far better than cameras could convey..
You look like a fun dame, too!

9:06 AM  
Blogger poody said...

I am a big Marxs Bros. fan as well. I love all their movies! I knew we were separated at birth!

12:04 PM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

Full Marx for that great post!!

2:04 PM  
Blogger JQ said...

I love that last quote! Groucho was a funny, funny man.
Did you know the rock band Queen named two of their albums after Marx Brother movies? A night at the Opera and A day at the races.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

and you haven't aged a bit.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

I love a good clean joke over a dirty one any day of the week.

Groucho can make me laugh anytime!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

all hail the pantaloon.

amen

9:49 PM  
Blogger The Ferryman said...

You and Groucho? Wow...you are older than I thought you were :)

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

A clown is like aspirin, only he works twice as fast.
Groucho Marx

A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running.
Groucho Marx

A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
Groucho Marx

Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough.
Groucho Marx

Anybody who doesn't like this book is healthy.
Groucho Marx

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.
Groucho Marx

Believe me, you have to get up early if you want to get out of bed.
Groucho Marx

Blood's not thicker than money.
Groucho Marx

Don't look now, but there's one too many in this room and I think it's you.
Groucho Marx

I so stole all of those quotes! :o)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Suldog said...

Have you ever seen the stage play "Groucho: A Life In Revue?" I've seen it a couple of times, and it's marvelous! If you ever see it advertised anywhere, you'd probably find it a pleasant experience to go.

I absolutely adore comedy teams in general. The Marxes are, of course, fantastic. I'm also a huge fan of Laurel & Hardy and The Three Stooges. Another duo I like, almost unknown these days, is Wheeler & Woolsey.

Anyway, enjoyed your post. I came over from David's Authorblog.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home