Monday, September 17, 2007

Movie review Monday!

Hubby and I have been watching movies like crazy lately.

First we saw Kinky Boots


Loved this movie!! Its supposed to be based on a true Story. The guy who plays the transvestite is so good, he can really work that look and attitude. I also saw him in The Serenity movie, I will save that review for another day though. This is a feel good movie, it really makes you feel good. Its about a shoe factory that is going under, and the owner decides to make sexy footwear aimed at transvestites. The catwalk scene is brilliant!

Then we saw Sherrybaby
This is not a feel good kinda movie, its gritty and realistic. Maggie Gylenhall should have won an award for this . Its almost shocking how low this girls life can go, but in a way its kinda makes you feel good because it really leads you to believe she is going to make it despite all odds. She's an ex con drug user (crack and something else) who is trying to reconnect with her young daughter but her brother and his wife have been raising her and try to stand between her the child.

Then we went to to the Theater and saw Superbad.



I know alot of people will disagree with me but I hated this movie. It was a gross and awful language and I refuse to believe teenage boys cannot have a conversation without being demeaning to women and coarse profanity. The parts with Seth Cohen were pretty funny and the kids were great actors (I really like the kid from Arrested Development) but this was not my cup of tea at all. Don't hate, I cant help it I just did not like it. The whole plot of the movie is underage kids trying to get alcohol so they can get laid.

I think I may make this movie review monday and regular thing. Anyone else want to do it too?

Have a mentioned that kidney stones really hurt? Tomorrow I go to the urologist for what I am sure will be an expensive fun little visit.

Later.



10 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

I love movies but just never have the time to watch them. Thanks for the reviews though!

p.s. Happy Belated Birthday! :)

10:34 PM  
Blogger jimmycity said...

I'm SO sorry that I missed your birthday! I hope it was filled with Light and Love.

Now, as for your review of "SuperBad", I don't think you need to apologize a bit for how you felt about it. As I stated in MY half-assed review of it, it was really immature. But, and you've gotta trust a guy on this, that really is how guys that age talk to each other ABOUT each other, and about girls. Seriously, we are IDIOTS. Still, I totally understand why you wouldn't like the movie.

I like the idea of making Monday a movie review day. Can I join in?

1:26 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

I haven't seen or heard of any of them. The last one doesn't sound like my cup of tea either, but I might see the others based on your review.

9:14 AM  
Blogger poody said...

Hey I was going to see this movie yesterday but opted out to go get BBQ sounds like I made the right choice indeed! Thanks I love your reviews! And just how the hell did I miss your birthday??

12:10 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Monday movie reviews! I haven't seen any of these films, and I've wanted to see Kinky Boots for a while, so with your recommendation, I must be sure to go and rent it.

I haven't seen SuperBad, but it was written by a friend of a friend, and there are apparently all sorts of inside Vancouver jokes. I'll be seeing it for that reason, but I'll keep your review in mind, so that I don't go in with a high expectation and be crashingly disappointed. :)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

I hae wanted to see Superbad...but I'll probably have to wait until it comes out on video...if it's not a "shoot 'em up" hubs won't go, so I have to go by myself.

6:27 PM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

I like you, but I don't ever see us going to the same movie....

6:35 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

I'll have to check out that first one. I saw Sherrybaby and I agree that Maggie did a great job, but that movie just made me feel all sorts of sad. And I have NO desire to see Superbad whatsoever. I didn't like The 40-year-old Virgin and since they wrote this one too I figured I wouldn't like it. Plus there did not seem to be much of a plot except disgusting behavior.

I am just about to watch Mistress of Spices, I'll let you know what I think.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Me, I always have time for a movie now that my kids are grown :)

Jimmy, please do join in! I am going to do it every monday now. My son is 18, please tell me he is not like those boys in superbad! Sigh, I know he is.

Shelly, Kinky boots was my fav of the three.

Sis, I dont know HOW you missed my birthday, I mean since we are a sisters and all LOL.

Kimber, the hubsters is Canadian (although not from vancuover) and he fell asleep in Superbad. He said it was a nice nap LOL

Beth, I go to the movies by myself alot. At first I hated it but now I like going alone. I am so lazy though, its just easier to do netflix.

Buffalo...I like you too! My husband has to watch horror movies when I am not around, he loves them I hate them! I think its a guy/girl thing.

Princess, I loved the 40 year old virgin and knocked up so I thought I would like this one too. Yeah, sherry was kinda a downer. I was shocked at Maggie doing so much nudity in that movie. She for sure has a good bod for that, but I would rather see George Clooney naked :)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Superbad didn't interest me when I saw a preview, but the other movies you reviewed sound really interesting.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home