Sunday, December 04, 2005


I survived the weekend trip!

Its not that I wasnt expecting to survive, but I wasnt sure what I would encounter. I still had no idea when/if I would see my kids when I left, and I didnt know what shape what parents would be in. But the kids came a couple of hours after we got there (I got some pics I will post later oh my 2 amazing kids) and my parents...well it wasnt as bad as I expected. My dad was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease 2 1/2 years ago and at the time was given 2 years to live. He is either one tough cookie or the type he has is thankfully not as progressive as they thought at first. My mom kept telling me how bad off he had gotten...but he really looked quite good to me. He stumbled several times, and was pretty tired by the end of our visit, but he didnt seem to be that much worse to me. Now, admited he can put on a show for company and mom sees him at his worse, but I was relieved by what I saw. I really think they need to do something about a wheelchair and some ramps soon though, they are putting off the eneviatable. I am too, because I really dont even like thinking about it. My mom is down to 104 lbs, she looks bad. She has been...how can I put this...odd the last few years. She repeats herself, forgets stuff , gets lost and is VERY paraniod. WE talked her into getting tested for Alzhimers and all the tests were negative but there is something going on with her. But it still was a nice visit. Saw my brother and his wife too. The kids looked great, my son has grown another foot I think. He had all his metals he won at Grappling this year, 14 of them. I made him wear all of them (they are heavy) and got a picture, will post that as soon as I can. I am very proud of him...he is rated #1 in the world in his division in this sport I never heard of before and won a small scholarship! Who knew he had this in him??? I did not. Growing up he was shy and quiet and very non agressive.

Well anyway, I have a travel headache, nothing like a weekend of 14 hours on the road. I am such a bad traveler, but my portable DVD player helps pass the time. This Trip I watched 4 movies, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (read the book, both it and the movie were excellent), Christmas with the Cranks, Sweet home Alabama and The Life Aquatic. I am off to find some Tylenol.......

Later
PS I wasnt driving when I watched the movies, the Canadian wont let me drive, and I hate to anyway so it works out well.

2 Comments:

Blogger nicki said...

i'm glad you had a good weekend :)

6:02 AM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

It's not fun to realise your parents are getting older, is it?

I understand what you're going through. My dad has had series of health problems, and my mum, well, her mind wanders. It's a matter of time before they need a home care nurse or something.

I hope the best for your parents.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home