Thursday, January 26, 2006


Yes, they are greyhounds.......

I post pictures of my dogs often, just because its my blog and I really dont have much of a life outside the home. I am owned by Greyhounds. I have other breeds of dogs too, but I cannot say enough of the greyhounds. They are the best breed of dog I have ever owned. I always had little dogs, and I was pretty intimated by the size of them at first. But they are not that big to me anymore, I guess its just what you are used to. The ex racers are loving and sweet and grateful. I am committed to the cause of the ex racers. There are so so many that are bred looking for the the "the best and the fastest". Many of them dont make the cut, or they have started losing or are just too old to race. They usually dont race them past the age of 5, and the average life span is 14 years. They all need good loving homes. So if anyone is thinking of getting a dog or adding one, read up on the breed and see if a greyhound is right for you. Be a winner, adopt a loser!

Mike mentioned Italian Greyhounds. I have posted Jazzy Pinkfeet's picture. She was thrown out of a car window (or jumped, the story gets jumbled) and the people behind the car stopped and got her and called our greyhound group. They thought she was a greyound pup. I cried until hubby let me bring her home and she has been with us almost 3 years now. Italians are cute and sweet and the most loving dogs but they are NOT docile like greyhounds. They are a pretty hyper breed. They are also more diffucult to housetrain than a greyhound. But they both have one advantage. They are called hypoallergenic. Alot of people that are allergic to dogs just arent allergic to greys or italians.

OK i am off my soapbox now. I used to go every saturday and take the greys out to meet potential adopters. Because of my health I have had to give that up. But its still something for which I have alot of passion...as you can tell LOL.

Later

6 Comments:

Blogger Zambo said...

Hi Mel.

That seems like a very good cause to support. I hope you're doing OK.

Take care.

Your Pal,

Zambo.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

What a great thing to do, cheers to you!

2:26 PM  
Blogger nicki said...

i love it when you post about your dogs mel :) i think they are the cutest ever :) i'll never get tired of doggie posts :)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Spider Walk said...

I love your doggies! They are beautiful and you can tell by the pictures that you take the most EXCELLENT care of them.

I am so sorry to hear that you are unable to get out on the weekends to help get them adopted out. If my house were bigger, I would adopt one just on the merits you give them.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get my butt in here and comment. I have been thinking of you!

Hugs...

6:49 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

They all look quite cute.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Panthergirl said...

YEP... I am allergic to most dogs but not to my greyhound!!!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home