Monday, October 29, 2007

Movie review Monday!

I suck, I haven't been to a movie at the theater in weeks but have watched some on Cable instead. I am addicted to movies....as long as they are not horror. I see the new Saw movie was #1 at the box office last week and I don't get it. I watched the first 2, I hated them. I only saw them because Hubby loves the Saw movies. Anyway here are 2 movies I saw that stood out.

DON"T COME KNOCKING. I am not sure what network I saw this on, maybe encore? Anyway, first this movie is visually stunning. Gorgeous scenes of not so pretty places, if that makes sense. The director really had an eye for background. Sam Shepherd starred in and wrote this movie. He plays an aging cowboy movie star who clearly is unhappy with his life of waste, drugs, women booze ect. He finds out he may a son and just walks off a movie set to find this boy. He ends up finding himself. Its a story of Redemption, its a little gritty but not too gritty. Jessica Lange plays the boys mama, I believe her and Sam Shepard have been a couple for a while. Her role is small but pivotal. I want to catch this movie again, I really liked it. The director won an award for this at Sundance I think.

Then I saw SHUT UP AND SING, a documentary about the Dixie Chicks and the backlash they received from remarks Natalie Maines made about President Busch while touring in Europe. I love these documentary style films, I am not sure why but I really like them. Now, I have never been a big country music fan but I have always liked the Dixie Chicks. I did not understand what all the fuss was about, silly me I thought we had free speech in America. But people really vehemently went after them, country music stations stopped playing their songs and they even had some pretty serious death threats. Throughout it all they remained united and solid and refused to compromise their principles. These gals are awesome, it takes guts to get up on a stage when you have specific death threats. One side note, I tried to go see this in the movie theater when it was out but they did not show it here. Come to find out Greenville SC is prominent in the movie and is NOT shown in a good light so I guess thats why no one showed it here.

More movies next monday!

Later




8 Comments:

Blogger buffalodick said...

I have cable, and watch some independent movies that I believe are on the Sundance channel. Some of it is not great, but some of the films are excellent stuff you will never see on a major network..

6:09 AM  
Blogger JQ said...

Yeah, I heard Saw three was pretty bad. The first one was good because it was different from typical slasher movies. The second one was not so good.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Silverstar said...

Hi,
New here. :)
I saw 'Saw 2' and was disappointed and don't hold much hope for any future renditions. Its been done to death (pardon the pun) already.

11:53 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I hadn't even heard of 'Shut Up and Sing', but I wouldn't mind tracking it down and seeing it.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I keep wanting to see the Dixie Chicks movie. I love them!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

I've never heard of either of those movies....

But I love SAW!!! Those are awesome!! Love those! I have to go see the new one....

7:06 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

I liked sam shepard in that movie...

8:18 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

Saw 1 and 2 were good but I have desire to see 3 or 4. I can not believe they have been cranking these things out. I mean, they lose a lot in the way they quickly make them.

Shut Up And Sing was awesome! I really loved that movie, even more so since I have believed in the Dixie Chicks through it all. It was fascinating to see all the things that they went through and how their multiple Grammies provided a big F-You to all their naysayers.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home