Monday, November 26, 2007

DOD aka Papa aka Dad:

Its been a year today since you left us. I am not angry with you anymore but I was for a long time. See, I never ever could visualize a world without you and it hurts me everyday. I can't tell you how many times this past year I had to stop myself from calling you, remember when you were working nights and I would call sometimes at 3 am if I couldn't sleep? That was a long time ago, yet it seems like yesterday. Mom misses you more than I do, she had you for 51 years, I had you for 46. You went through so much pain in your life, some of it was self inflected ( Its hard to pass that tree on Ecoff ave you hit that one night, damn tree just jumped in front of your car haha) most of it was just the lottery of life that gave you bad health and I seem to inherited so much of it. I miss being able to talk you about my health problems, you understood more than my doctor since you were experiencing the same things. I know you were scared of dying, you told me just a month before the stroke...so that makes it worse for me. I haven't told anyone you said this, Bernard convinced mom that you were at peace and ready to go and had accepted God. I don't know how he knew this, you were unable to communicate at all, but it sure made Mom feel better. I wish I had been able to say goodbye, I NEVER got to say goodbye. Ed was able to be there before you were completely under in the coma, so he was able to say things and he is glad for that. But I didn't have that, you were gone before I got there and it sucks. It sucks!! The kids miss you so much too, but they are young and have their interests so they are able to deal with better. They are fine, healthy. Mom says she saw you in the house so if you were there I guess you know how she is. She has not changed at all LOL you know what I mean.

Anyway, I know you loved your church jokes so I am posting one here for you dad. I love you. I miss you.
Melody

The Joke:

A new pastor was visiting the homes of his parishioners.

At one house it seemed obvious that someone was at home, but no answer came to his repeated knocks at the door. Therefore, he took out a card and wrote "Revelation 3:20" on the back of it and stuck it in the door.

When the offering was processed the following Sunday, he found that his card had been returned. Added to it was this cryptic message, Genesis 3:10."

Reaching for his Bible to check out the citation, he broke up in gales of laughter.

Revelation 3:20 begins "Behold, I stand at the door and knock." Genesis 3:10 reads, "I heard your voice in the garden and I was afraid, for I was naked."

10 Comments:

Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

This was such a beautiful post. I think this is a great way to say all these things to your Dad you never got to say because I am sure he is there lookign over your shoulder and smiling as you type it.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

I had a good laugh over that joke! I've popped over from Sans Pantaloons' blog.

Synchronocity reigns, as I'm home from the hospital where my gram is valiantly hanging on to life. We're in the process of saying goodbye to her now. I know how you miss your dad, as my dad passed away this March. Keep him close in your heart, talk to him as much as you want. I'm quite certain he can hear you.

9:52 PM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

Think good thoughts and memories today. It does get a little easier to do as time passes....

6:33 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I am so so sorry.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Karin's Korner said...

What a wonderul letter to your dad.

I have to tell you that I believe with all of my heart that your dad knows exactly how you and your family are getting along. He is looking down at you from Heaven and smiling along with you, crying with you and laughing out loud with you (and probably at you sometimes).

I have to believe this, my dad passed in April of 03, I miss him and speak with him regularly. One night sitting home alone, I was watching TV and all of a sudden I was smelling cigarette smoke (I quit smoking in Dec. of 05) there was no one in the house with me but my dad died of lung cancer. I know he was there just to let me know that he is watching over us and making sure we are ok.

God Bless you and your family.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

awww....Your dad would love this post. you have a wonderful heart and I know this past year has been very hard for you....prayers out to you and yours

11:32 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Aww this is beautiful.

12:39 PM  
Blogger JQ said...

Mel, I want to give you a hug.


I'm sorry for your loss. It makes me sad to have to think about my own parents demise....thanks a friggin' lot!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Wow Mel, that was a great letter, I'm sure your dad enjoyed it too. I lost my mom almost 12 years ago and dad just over 10 years ago. You nailed a lot ways I felt/feel about their passing. Time changes a few things, the pain eases, but time never changes how much they mean to me. The beauty of the relationship we shared never fades.

7:42 PM  
Blogger poody said...

I love the joke and I love you too! (((hugs)))

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home