Thursday, July 19, 2007


Sicko... a boring rant about my job and my medical bills.

I have not seen this yet but I want to. I have been very lucky with my insurance so far and I know it. I still owe just about every doctor in town but the amounts are not outrageous and I pay monthly. The only thing they really did not want to pay so far was the first round of Gamma treatments last summer (hello 52,000 bill from the hospital) They questioned if it was necessary, the diagnosis, anything they could think of. I kept after them and they finally paid in full that bill (well there were some write offs the hospital had to eat but I didn't have to pay anything on that)
That's what people do not understand these days, your insurance will do anything and everything to keep from paying. Its the name of the game, and I know it well since I work in the billing office for a group of docs and I am a sicko too. These days you have to take matters in your own hands, you have to call them and document everything they tell you because sometimes you get a different answer every time you talk to someone! But the patients call and yell at ME because their insurance paid the bill at less than 50%. I don't get why they hell at us. Yes the doctors and hospitals charges are way way up there but the reason for that is all the write offs they have to take. I am not saying the docs aren't making $ but I sure am not and yet I am the one they call and yell at!

One lady today called at was yelling, her insurance paid at less that 1/2, and frankly I think she has a cheaper policy too. She said all I had was a biopsy so why do I owe over 1,000! LOL all she had was a biopsy, that's a major thing! I wonder if she called and yelled at the pathologist too?

Welcome to my world. Now that I have 2 insurances the hospital refuses to even acknowledge my secondary because they do not par with them so I have to file those myself. I miss the good all days when doctors made house calls and bartered their services. I don't remember those days but I bet it was kinda nice...

3 Comments:

Blogger Fantastagirl said...

hmmm I worked for a Physical therapist.. it's amazing how the insurance companies can really mess with them. Some did not pay like they said they would, and it was a mess. The health system is very messed up!

10:40 PM  
Blogger poody said...

I hear ys Sis! I am still fighting with my insurance for money owed the Dr and MRI people! Yikes!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you're talking about...I use to work in billing for a dr's office and I hated patients that would complain to me about their bill. And YES dr do make the money..my ex FIL has a very nice life to show for it :)

HOpe you have a good weekend!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home