Monday, September 24, 2007

Movie Review Monday!

I watched a couple of movies this weekend, some lifetime movies that I love but I will not review them now. The first is a movie I caught on the Sundance Channel. I love this channel, this one and IFC have movies you cant see anywhere else.

The Mighty Celt is a movie about racing greyhounds! Well, not really its more of a coming of age movie about a young boy that works in the kennels and trains The Mighty Celt. Gillian Anderson is wonderful in this, really I didn't know she was such a good actress. I was a major XFiles fan (I have the theme song as my ring tone right now, I am a dork!) so I like her but I didnt know her acting range until I saw this. I thought this would a happy dog and boy story. Not so! There are graphic scenes of animal cruelty, things that are NOT fiction, things that really do happen in some kennels. I have heard the abuse is exceptionally bad in Ireland (where this movies takes place) but its all over. There are owners that do not care one bit about the dogs and only see dollar signs, when the dog stops making money awful things can happen. Most owners are not this way but there are always some bad ones. Anyway, off my soapbox and back to the movie. The movie was excellent, but one scene was so horrible and I did not expect it and I really was traumatized the rest of the day. Its good its out there so people can see what happens but it was too much for me and kinda ruined the movie for me. I am a softie where greyhounds are concerned!

Then I went to see Sydney White the new Amanda Bynes movie. I needed to cleanse myself after the first movie and this was perfect. The critics have panned this movie but I really liked it, it was my kind of happy movie. The premise is the Greeks vs the dorks on Campus. The dork guys are all so awesome, its like the new Nerds but the humor is not as gross. I liked it alot, I like her alot.

What did you see this weekend? I saw Slick went to see Good Luck Chuck and he really liked it, check out his review too!

Later




9 Comments:

Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

I adore Amanda Bynes. I have liked her since she was on Nick's All That and then got her own show. I believe I would like her new movie too. That first one sounded insteresting though, I may have to check it out. And I want to see Good Luck Chuck, I love Dane Cook. He's a Boston boy and I remember seeing him before he got big and famous and he was always funny!

I watched Mistress of Spices this weekend. I highly recommend it and think you would enjoy it. It is by the same people who did Bride and Prejudice (also a cute movie, although the songs got a little bit annoying, and I love musicals!)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jose said...

I like Amanda Bynes too, I hope she doesn't ruin her beauty with stupid plastic surgery. This weekend I watched a good adventure rerun, 007 Thunderball, and the required chick flick with mi chica and daughters "Because I said so". I like Mandy More and Diane Keaton, the movie was pretty good.

3:26 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

Greyhound Rescue might have been one of the first Rescues in U.S. We got our dog(as you know)thru Airedale Rescue.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the second movie? Uh huh, I think I'd like her too ;)

9:57 AM  
Blogger MommaMonkey said...

Those movies sound great. Of course, i think i would have to do like you and watch something light-hearted and funny after that first one. Especially if part of it is upsetting.

We actually rented a few movies over the weekend, which is a rarity in this house. We rented the Office - Season 3 (not really a movie) and Open Season for the little one. Which I thought was stupid and totally inappropriate for kids. I need to start screening Boo's picks a little better.
Then dh rented Reno 911 last night. I warned him that I was told it was beyond stupid. (I can't remember if you reviewed that movie or not). And he watched it by himself last night and said, "That was THE dumbest movie I've ever wasted my time on." Maybe he'll let me pick next time.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Me said...

There is absolutely no way I could have watched the first one. I am sorry you had to see those images!!!!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

I think Amanda Bynes is so cute and I hope she stays a "good girl"...I don't want to read about her going to rehab any time soon!

3:12 PM  
Blogger poody said...

I hate those kind of Movies Mel! I cannot see cruelty in any form. I mean, believe me, I know it happens but it does not have to be my form of entertainment! I will only see movies that make me feel good. I live in a world where I have to experience cruelty on a more personal level with my pts. and just life in general. I know I am a whuss and hide my head in the sand.

7:11 PM  
Blogger jimmycity said...

I didnt get to the movies last weekend, Mel, because I was up to my ears with work. College football programming issues and all. It wasn't a great weekend for me.

Next weekend I will be on the road to visit my deaf sister who is about to undergo a cochliar (sp?) implant surgery to see if she can get any benefit. She has been deaf since the age of two (she's 43 now), God love her, and is all excited that this new surgery is going to suddenly give her ears again. The chances are VERY slim, at best. But, I love her and am going to be there to give her my support. So, catching a movie isn't too high on my agenda right now.

Thanks for the review. Amanda Bynes has made me giggle since she was a wee thing. Sometimes I blurt out "Amanda, please!" to my buddies, and they have no idea what the heck I am talking about.

All gay guys should know such things, shouldn't they?

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home